Friday, July 10, 2015

Week 8-Ad Deconstruction


I chose to deconstruct this advertisement.  When I originally saw it I was shocked.  I thought that it was very inappropriate for a billboard to display something this provocative. Going through the assignment only confirmed my suspicions.  While I was driving down the high way I didn't notice the small writing underneath the Snickers logo "satisfies."  I never knew that was their phrase, "Snickers Satisfies."  Satisfaction can relate to one's hunger for food, but also hunger sexually.  I personally thought that adding that word put it over the top.  

 I think that this advertisement could lead people to associate eating a Snickers and then having sex; it puts you in the mood. I think that the woman is being portrayed sexually in this ad. She is being seduced by the man; she isn’t the one seducing him. I think that posting this on a billboard would be socially irresponsible. I think that it is company’s responsibility to post advertisements that are appropriate for all ages to view, since they will be seen by all aged citizens. Citizen responsibility means looking at the bigger picture of society and honoring all people in it. Consumer responsibility means that you also have to watch out for yourself. If you see an inappropriate advertisement or any form of media it is your responsibility to guard yourself and your children from the crude or inappropriate messages.

I think this ad is that it is funny, but it is also inappropriate for all ages for view. It depends on where it is being posted; in a men’s restroom or in a bar might be appropriate; because there should only be older individuals there. Young boys or girls don’t need to see a women in her lingerie with a man trying to take it off. But, I am really struggling to think of a perfect place for it to be posted. I can envision the confusion in my young daughter’s eyes if she would have seen this, “Momma, why is that man going to punch that woman in the back?” That would open up a whole other can of worms; why did they use boxing gloves? They have a violent connotation. Why not a pair of big bulky mittens? It would have still been funny, but maybe a little less violent. In the end it is our responsibility to appropriately filter what our children are exposed too as best we can.

2 comments:

  1. One thing I don't think you mention: this may have been a conscious effort to be controversial and get some publicity for the brand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a good point! Some people do crazy things for the hype..

    ReplyDelete